Willowbank News and Media
MOPAR ROCKS AS WILLOWBANK READIES FOR NOSTALGIA MADNESS
Article Date: 30 July 2010
Willowbank Raceway came alive last weekend with more than 450 cars at the track for the eighth annual running of Mopar Sunday.
Despite rain late in the day, in excess of 3000 spectators came through the gates and they were not disappointed, with 142 drag racing entrants including Pro Stock racer Lee Bektash - who delivered with a 7.33 second pass in the 400Ci Hemi powered Team Mopar Australia Pro Stock drag car - and over 150 entrants in the Meguiar’s Show & Shine Competition.
Event Organiser Sam Tatton said the event was a great success.
“Overall we had upwards of 450 cars at Willowbank to participate in this years Mopar Sunday and it was a great success with attendance numbers of over 3000 people even with some late rain on the day,” said Tatton.
“Mopar Sunday continues to grow with this years event having the largest attendance and entrants so far and some great racing to boot.
“Lee Bektash didn’t let his fans down, running a 7.33 second at lunchtime, just off his recent record breaking performance.
“Also keeping the fans entertained was Darren McGahan doing several long wheelstands in his 422 Small Block Barracuda, that the crowds went crazy over.
“There was a huge variety of Mopars racing and around the track on display with the quality being second to none, it was just great to see everything from Jeeps to Front engine dragsters, other dedicated drag cars, modified street cars and stock rides all enjoying a fantastic celebration of all that is Mopar and Chrysler.”
Please see below for the day’s results for the drag racing, Meguiar’s Show & Shine and the Dyno Shootout events.
Next up for Willowbank Raceway is the 2010 Nostalgia Nationals, set to hit the track over August 14 and 15 with qualifying from 10am on Saturday the 14th and racing from 9am on Sunday the 15th, with entry for children 13 and under free, adult tickets are $28 per day.
All of the NDRA classes will be on show as well over the two day meet, including Nostalgia Outlaw, Junior Fuel, Slingshot, Gas, Vintage Gas, Hot Rod, Aussie Muscle, US Muscle, Aussie Six Banger, Hambster, Classic Bike and Outlaw Bike. Qualifying is Saturday, with racing on Sunday; with Chicago Shootout racing format in most fields. For more information, please visit www.nostalgiadrags.com.au
For more information on Willowbank Raceway including a full event calendar, please visit www.willowbankraceway.com.au
2010 MOPAR SUNDAY RESULTS
Based on the last round before the late rain, the winner and runner up were those entrants that ran closest to their dial in time.
- Winner 10.99 & under - Ian Coombe 0.316 from dial in
- 2nd place 10.99 sec & under - Jed Sladden 1.111 from dial in
- Winner 11 sec to 12.99 - Tim Down 0.023 from dial in
- 2nd place 11 sec to 12.99 - Milton Styler 0.025 from dial in
- Winner 13 sec & over - Scott Absolom 0.066 from dial in
- 2nd place 13 sec & over - Tim Wood 0.136 from dial in
- Quickest Run of the Day - Peter Leahy 7.29
- Best Reaction Time of the Day - 0.00 Tim Wood
- Lowest ET 4Cyl Modern Mopar -Barbara Mayne 17.391
- Lowest ET 6Cyl Modern Mopar - jeep grand cherokee 16.183 Stuart Murchison
- Lowest ET 8Cyl + Modern Mopar - Scotty Hutchinson 11.55
- Lowest ET Modern Mopar 4x4 - 11.98 Robert Jeffrey jeep grand cherokee srt8 426 hemi
- La Spina Bro's AWard - Mopar Mad Man - Darren McGahan - 68 422 small block Barracuda
The were 14 entrants in the dyno competition.
- Winner Dyno - 8 Cyl Un-assisted - - Gregory Behrendorf 303.1hp VJ Ute
- winner Dyno - 6 Cyl Assisted - Andrew Dunnett 236.3hp Val Ute
- Winner Dyno - Horsepower Hero - Gregory Behrendorf 303.1hp VJ Ute
Meguiar’s Show & Shine
There were 150 cars registered on the day for the Meguiar's Show & Shine with approximately another 150 on display. The cars on display this year were of an exceptionally high standard and are some of the best Mopars in Australia.
- Meguiar's Top Aussie Coupe/Charger - Sandy VH Charger
- Meguiar's Top Aussie Coupe/Charger - Runner Up - Paul VG Coupe
- Meguiar's Top US Mopar - Darren - dodge charger
- Meguiar's Top US Mopar - Runner Up - John Plymouth Belvedere
- Meguiar's Top Sedan - Peter S Series Valiant
- Meguiar's Top Sedan - Runner Up - Brad VG Valiant
- Meguiar's Top Commercial - Steve, VC Valiant Ute
- Meguiar's Top Commercial - Runner Up - Lyle VH Valiant Ute
- Meguiar's Top Engine Bay - Lionel - 300C
- Meguiar's Top Engine Bay - Runner Up - John Plymouth Belvedere
- Meguiar's Top Paint - Peter S series valiant
- Meguiar's Top Paint - Runner Up - Dale 300C
- Meguiar's Top Show Car - Original - Brad VG Valiant
- Meguiar's Top Show Car - Original & Un-restored - Chris Dodge Kingsway
- Meguiar's Top Show Car - Modified - Dru Chrysler 300C
- Meguiar's Best Modern 4/6 Cyl - Dennis P/T cruiser
- Meguiar's Best Modern 4/6 Cyl - Runner Up - Salvo Dodge Avenger
- Meguiar's Best Modern 8 Cyl - Lionel Chrysler 300C
- Meguiar's Best Modern 8 Cyl - Runner Up- Alan Chrysler 300C
- Meguiar's Top Jeep - Original - Les Jeep Renegade
- Meguiar's Top Jeep - Modified/Extreme 4x4 - Justin Jeep TJ
- Meguiar's Top Jeep - Best Tourer - Justin Jeep Cherokee XJ
« Back To News